The transplant process is a long journey and patients should expect the best care from us. We also expect the patients to help by taking care of themselves and keeping us updated with any health event they may have, even if they feel it is a simple matter. We need our patients to be in optimum condition while in the waiting list. Your Pre-Transplant care is as important as the Post-Transplant Care.
Some of the things that need to be done pre-transplant include:
- Stay as fit as possible.
- Go to all your routine health care visits, including dental checkups, flu shots, EKGs, stress testing, colorectal exams, mammograms and pap smears for women, and prostate exams for men.
- If you have a blood transfusion while on the transplant waiting list, let your transplant center know immediately.
- While on the list you will need to submit monthly blood samples. If you are on hemodialysis, your dialysis center can do this for you. If you are not on dialysis your Transplant Center will help you arrange to have this done.
- Let your transplant center know if you change your address or phone number
- Let your transplant center know if you have any change in your health status
If your have questions about your pre-transplant care be sure and ask one of our transplant professionals